In This Issue
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
Local and Other News
Second Opinion Service Available as a Buy-up Beginning April 1, 2018
November 7, 2017
Beginning April 1, 2018, UnitedHealthcare will offer a new Second Opinion service that provides members access to personalized second opinions by video or phone. The service is offered by top medical specialists throughout the United States through 2nd.MD, a third-party vendor.1
The program features include:
- Timely and flexible recommendations:
- Consultations are offered within three business days.
- Members can request a consultation 24/7 online, or by phone between 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET. Nurses are available 24 hours a day for critical care cases.
- Members can use this service from anywhere2, improving access to those with geographical limitations (no need for proximity to specialists).
- High-quality program effectiveness:
- Provides an effortless member experience; 2nd.MD gathers all the necessary medical records on the member’s behalf and connects them to the appropriate specialist(s).
- Features a robust network of specialists. All experts are board-certified, practicing physicians who have led at least 20 peer-reviewed studies in their area or subspecialty. More than 30 percent are chairs of their department.
- A designated care team coordinator guides employees through the entire process, including followup. The member also receives a written summary of their consultation results.
- Improved engagement and more informed decision making:
- Average savings of $3,500 per consult by avoiding unnecessary research, clinically irrelevant treatments, in-person visits and repetitive tests.3
For additional information, please view our Health Management Second Opionion brochure or contact your UnitedHealthcare representative.
1This standalone, buy-up product is available April 1, 2018.
2Internet or phone service provider connection required.
32nd.MD book of business: 4/1/17-6/30/17.
Second Opinion is made available through a third party vendor, 2nd.MD. The information provided through Second Opinion does not constitute medical advice and does not diagnose, treat, or prescribe treatment of medical conditions. All information provided in connection with Second Opinion is for informational purposes only, and does not create a physician-patient treatment relationship. Information provided through Second Opinion does not substitute medical diagnosis or treatment from your treating physician, and you should discuss the information provided by Second Opinion with your treating physician before making any decisions. The Second Opinion service may not be available in all states or for all group sizes and is subject to change. Coverage exclusions and limitations may apply.